Over the years, the same scenes are repeated: flooded streets, fallen trees and poles, damaged homes, damaged cars and landslides. Unfortunately, few of us know how to react or are prepared for these situations.
And speaking of cars, would you know what to do if you were in such a case? To be alert, in Grupo Ordás we prepare a small list with 15 things that, definitely, you should not do if you face a flood.
If it starts to rain heavily
1. Drive by areas where they report waterlogging, especially if road reports do not recommend moving around.
2. Increase the speed because you are in a hurry to get to the place where you are going.
3. Not respect the distance between cars, compromising your safety and that of others if you lose control of your vehicle.
4. Do not stop, risking your brakes stop working and the car causes an accident.
If the street starts to flood
5. Keep your car on, affecting the engine, transmission, suspension and other parts of the car’s mechanical / electrical system.
6. Open the vehicle door when the water rises rapidly.
7. Continue driving or not change direction when the water level increases.
8. Cross a flooded street, risking a deep bump.
What if your car was parked while the flood happened?
9. Start your car if it was flooded, knowing that you could cause damage to the engine because it is still wet.
10. Forget taking pictures of material damage.
11. Not having a comprehensive coverage insurance. We know that it is not mandatory to have this type of coverage, but it is good to consult with your agent or insurance broker if you think you are exposed to floods or gusts of wind.
12. Do not take the necessary measures to prevent the situation from getting worse. For example, if the windows are broken try to put a cardboard, plastic or cloth so that the pieces do not fall.
13. Use heaters or something similar to dry the vehicle, putting you at risk.
14. Handle the car without taking it to review, although everything is dry and in good condition, apparently. Experts recommend taking it to a workshop to change the motorcycle oil and transmission.
15. Believe that you do not need help. It will always be better to call your insurer or ask for a tow truck to tow your car.
At this time, it is very important to know how to act when the intensity of the rains increases. Check the coverage of your policy and ask if you are covered by risks such as floods, hurricanes, lightning and other natural phenomena. If you still do not have auto insurance or want to improve your protection, in Grupo Ordás we can offer you a solution as an insurance broker.